Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Etiquettes of Debate

Imam Shafi’i is related to have said: “Never do I debate a man with a desire to hear him err in his speech, or to expose the flaws in his argument, and thus vanquish him. Whenever I face an opponent in debate I silently supplicate, ‘O Lord, help him so that truth may manifest itself in his heart and on his tongue. If it be that the truth is on my side, may he follow me; and if the truth be on his side, may I follow him.’“
Umar (ra) said, “We have been forbidden from pretence (of knowledge).” (al-Bukhari). Masruq said: We came upon 'Abdullah bin Mas'ud (ra) and he said, "O people! If somebody knows something, he can say it, but if he does not know it, he should say, 'Allah knows better,' for it is a sign of having knowledge to say about something, which one does not know, 'Allah knows better.' Allah said to His Prophet: 'Say, 'No wage do I ask of you for this (the Qur'an), nor am I one of the Mutakallifun (those who pretend and fabricate things which do not exist).'” [Sa'd: 86] (Agreed upon)

No comments:

Post a Comment